We understand the complexity of code and policy as the most fundamental security problem shared by modern general-purpose operating systems. Because of high functional demands and dynamic workloads, however, this complexity cannot be avoided. But it can be organized. Genode is a novel OS architecture that is able to master complexity by applying a strict organizational structure to all software components including device drivers, system services, and applications. The Genode OS framework is the effort to advance the Genode OS architecture as a community-driven Open-Source project.
The book "Genode Foundations" describes the Genode OS Framework in a holistic and comprehensive way. It equips the reader with a thorough understanding of the architecture, assists developers with the explanation of the development environment and system configuration, and provides a look under the hood of the framework. Furthermore, it contains the specification of the framework's programming interface. Download the book as PDF
- Genode OS Framework release 16.11 Nov 30, 2016
- Version 16.11 revisits the most fundamental low-level protocols of the framework to further improve its scalability, refines the virtual networking facilities, adds support for smart cards, and improves the NOVA kernel.
- Genode OS Framework release 16.08 Aug 31, 2016
- Genode 16.08 makes the entirety of the framework's drivers, protocol stacks, and libraries available on the seL4 kernel, brings VirtualBox 4 to the Muen separation kernel, and hosts VirtualBox 5 on top of the NOVA kernel. Further highlights are virtual networking and TOR, profound Zynq board support, and tools for statistical profiling.
- Genode OS Framework release 16.05 May 27, 2016
- With version 16.05, the Genode API receives a fundamental revision. The list of further improvements ranges from the introduction of Rust, over improved GDB support, to a profound update of many device drivers and ACPI features.
- How Genode came to RISC-V Mar 22, 2016
- Our new article provides a look behind the scenes of porting Genode to the RISC-V hardware architecture.
- Genode OS Framework release 16.02 Feb 26, 2016
- Genode 16.02 introduces the RISC-V hardware architecture to the framework, enables the secure pass-through of USB devices to virtual machines, and updates the Muen separation kernel and the seL4 microkernel.
- Road Map for 2016 Jan 15, 2016
- We finalized the road map for 2016, which is primarily focused on extending the community of users.