We understand the complexity of code and policy as the most fundamental security problem shared by modern general-purpose operating systems. Because of high functional demands and dynamic workloads, however, this complexity cannot be avoided. But it can be organized. Genode is a novel OS architecture that is able to master complexity by applying a strict organizational structure to all software components including device drivers, system services, and applications. The Genode OS framework is the effort to advance the Genode OS architecture as a community-driven Open-Source project.
The book "Genode Foundations" describes the Genode OS Framework in a holistic and comprehensive way. It equips the reader with a thorough understanding of the architecture, assists developers with the explanation of the development environment and system configuration, and provides a look under the hood of the framework. Furthermore, it contains the specification of the framework's programming interface. Download the book as PDF
- Google Summer of Code Mar 01, 2017
- Genode will participate under the umbrella of the FOSDEM microkernel devroom as mentoring organization in this year's Google Summer of Code program.
- Genode OS Framework release 17.02 Feb 28, 2017
- By introducing application binary interfaces, version 17.02 cultivates the cross-kernel binary compatibility of components. Furthermore, the new version comes with a vastly improved VFS infrastructure, new input-event processing capabilities, and a dynamic component-composition engine.
- Open-source license update Feb 21, 2017
- With the upcoming version 17.02, Genode will adopt the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPLv3) as its regular open-source license.
- Road Map for 2017 Jan 17, 2017
- The year 2017 will be overall focused on stressing the scalability and stability of the framework.
- Genode at FOSDEM 2017 Jan 11, 2017
- The microkernel developer room at this year's FOSDEM will host four Genode-related talks, ranging from our custom kernel, over kernel-independent binaries, execution replay, to Genode's VFS infrastructure.
- Genode OS Framework release 16.11 Nov 30, 2016
- Version 16.11 revisits the most fundamental low-level protocols of the framework to further improve its scalability, refines the virtual networking facilities, adds support for smart cards, and improves the NOVA kernel.